Fixed Term Social Enterprise Officer
Next Step Initiative is a registered Scottish Charity Incorporated Organisation and leading ethnic minority social enterprise that works to empower, improve and transform the quality of life of African communities in Scotland.
Post Title: Social Enterprise Officer
Main Purpose of Post: To develop the capacity of new and existing African and Caribbean Community Organisations and social Enterprises organisations in Glasgow and West of Scotland area by providing high-quality information, business growth and continuity support, and mentoring, training and developmental support.
Salary: £15,839 per annum, with 4% Pension Contributions and Employer’s NI & Tax
Hours: 17.5 hours per week, permanent post
Start Date: 1st June 2018 End Date: 31st March 2019 Contract Term: Fixed Term
Reporting to: Project Coordinator and NSI CEO
We are looking for an exceptional and experienced project Social Enterprise Officer to join our team to deliver a new project across Glasgow and West of Scotland, working with African and Caribbean & Ethnic Minority Communities, local communities, businesses and voluntary sector partners to test new approaches to empowering and mobilizing communities.
You will be part of a rapidly growing social enterprise; our work builds strong, resilient African and Caribbean/Ethnic Minority Communities and gives people the tools to make real lasting changes in their lives.
As part of the team at Next Step Initiative, you will deliver the new Dream to Reality Programme. You will successfully develop and deliver effective capacity building support to African and Caribbean Community organisations and Social Enterprises at all stages of development, including start-ups and ensure high-quality delivery
The Project involves developing the capacity of new and existing African and Caribbean community organizations, and social enterprises organizations in Glasgow and West of Scotland area, providing high-quality information, business growth and continuity support, and mentoring, training, and development support. It also involves helping these organizations and community to link to policy and articulates their issues and needs, so as to allow them to influence policy.
What you will need to succeed
You will have experience of successfully leading the development of short-term, high impact programme that supports the development of new approaches. You will be skilled at building relationships and communicating with a range of stakeholders including community members, business leaders, and senior public sector leaders. You will be creative and innovative, designing new activities on the basis of initial findings, and flexing your approach. You will be able to produce high-quality influential reports and present them in a compelling to influence change. You can facilitate, encourage, motivate and inspire. Like anything at Next Step Initiative, the work is fast moving, creative and varied, so we are looking for an exceptional individual who will be comfortable and experienced in leading this fixed term high impact and exciting project to influence change for the future.
- To deliver effective capacity building support to African and Caribbean Community organisations and Social Enterprises at all stages of development, including start-ups;
- To develop and deliver organisational support to 20 organisations including 3 years business planning, governance, funding and bidding/tendering;
- To provide targeted mentoring support to African and Caribbean organisations and Social Enterprises through ‘health checks’ and specific advice, particularly those organisations in a crisis situation;
- To work with colleagues to implement systems for measuring, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of capacity building approaches;
- Provide business and mentoring support, and set up of successful 15 social enterprises and Community Organisations within the African and Caribbean/BME communities to be scalable, sustainable, in addressing the needs of their communities across Glasgow and West of Scotland
- Plan, Coordinate and Deliver 20 workshops on Enterprise Continuity, Enterprising Model, Growth, Governance and Sustainability to over 20 African and Caribbean Community Organisations and Social Enterprises, to over 400 members.
- Support and develop a minimum of 15 successful Community Organisations and Social Enterprises within the African and Caribbean/BME Communities across Glasgow and West of Scotland
- Coordinate and produce 6 short film/documentary on the progress of these African and Caribbean Community Organisations and Social Enterprises.
- Coordinate, manage and develop the NSI Incubation Hub and its activities
- Devise Strategy and the implementation of a 3-5 years plan for the profitability and sustainability of the NSI Incubation Hub. Responsible for the viability and sustainability of these facilities and its services.
- Develop and establish a new strategic partnership with mainstreams public and private sector, so as to open more access and opportunities to more African and Caribbean Community Organisations and Social enterprises and their members.
- To effectively manage a portfolio of casework with competing demands and produce a monthly/ quarterly report;
- To actively promote Next Step Initiative including seeking new business opportunities;
- To contribute to updating the organisation’s website, e-bulletins, newsletters and other publications to promote best practice;
- To contribute to cross-organisation initiatives including bid/funding proposals, quality accreditation work and other projects.
- To take personal responsibility for contributing to high-quality standards in customer relations, service delivery, project management and communications.
This job description does not represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities and tasks but indicates the main responsibilities required of employees in the role. The organisation reserves the right to require employees to perform other duties from time to time.
The organisation also reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post- holder at any time according to the needs of the organisation’s business.
There is a requirement to work evenings and weekends as necessary in order to ensure appropriate fulfilment of duties.
Next Step Initiative is a Registered Scottish Charity Incorporation Organisation in Scotland and Registered Scottish Charity No. SCO14305. Registered Office: Africa House, 300 Broomloan Road, Glasgow, G51 2JQ.
Job Description and Person Specification: Social Enterprise Officer Part-Time
1st June 2018 – 31st March 2019.
- Experience of working within the third sector and with African and Caribbean Communities, or, extensive experience of community development work and supporting African and Caribbean Community organisations and Social Enterprises;
- Good understanding of the governance and policy issues facing African and Caribbean Community organisations and Social Enterprises in Scotland;
- An understanding of company law and/or charity law;
- Experience of supporting organisations and people to develop their capacity and operate to best practice, including business, understanding the policy environment and financial planning
- Experience of planning and delivering training sessions;
- Emotionally intelligent, able to build and sustain positive relationships with key stakeholders
- Comfortable networking and representing the organisation;
- Willingness to learn; work as part of a team and to help others;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, written, numeracy and ICT skills;
- Efficient, self-motivated, and proactive, with good organisational and presentation skills;
- A personal commitment to organisational excellence; displays honesty, integrity and a strong sense of ethics in all actions and decisions.
- A commitment to equal opportunities;
- Valid driving licence and access to a car.
- A formal qualification in a relevant field, for example, community development;
- A knowledge and experience of the Community Empowerment Act 2015 and how it will impact on local communities
- A knowledge or experience of supporting community asset transfer or ownership
- Experience of fundraising and opportunities to access appropriate funding streams
How to Apply:
Please send a CV and covering letter (Max two pages) outlining why you are applying and your suitability for the role. The letter should speak directly to the responsibilities, Key Competencies, skills and experience outlined in the job description.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com
Please include your name and ‘’Social Enterprise Officer’’ Dream to Reality Project’’ in the email line
Deadline for applications: 12 noon, 25th May 2018.
Interview Date: Thursday 31st May 2018.
Next Step Initiative is a Registered Scottish Charity Incorporation Organisation in Scotland and Registered Scottish Charity No. SCO14305. Registered Office: Africa House, 300 Broomloan Road, Glasgow, G51 2JQ
960 total views, 6 today